Tuesday 18 December 2012

Dave the Possum

We have been living in the country on 19 acres for about 5 weeks.  The first week I found it very hard to sleep as I tried to get used to the "night noises".  How come there are so many different noises that you hear at night?

There were lots of bumps, thuds and bangs going on.

One night I went out onto the deck and got the fright of my life as a HUGE possum stared at me.  He was so big, he looks like he is on steroids. I went straight back inside.  I knew that I needed to become friends with the possum so we could live together happily.  The possum needed a name.  DAVE.  He looks like a Dave.  By naming the possum, I seemed to be less afraid and the night noises no longer kept me awake.  Dave has a routine and normally comes out to party at around 11.00pm.

Dave wanted to let us know that he was boss, so he proudly peed on every single one of our outdoor cushions.  NOT HAPPY :(

In our previous house I grew lots of herbs, as I love to use them in my cooking.  It is going to be a while before we get a proper veggie patch going so I decided to plant some herbs into pots.  The herb I use almost every night is parsley, so I planted a big pot of parsley. 

Much to my horror the next morning, there was NO parsley in sight and a huge pile of possum poop right next to the pot.  Dave and I are definitely getting off on the wrong foot.

We have recently rebuilt the deck, which includes freshly white painted Cyprus posts.  This is what Dave did to them overnight.

Christian has misplaced his brand new iPOD and we now have a running joke that Dave the possum took it.  We then found a leak under the house in the brand new plumbing pipes, so I joke that our spanner went missing, so it must be Dave needing to have a wash.

The other day I was looking for my bathers as the weather has warmed up here and yes you guessed it - they have gone missing.  We now have a possum who is on steroids walking around in a bikini with his ipod blasting out gangham style.

Dave got relocated to the back of our property up a nice big gum tree. We were told that he will probably come back.

And yes they were right.  The other morning I awoke to find 3 huge piles of possum poop on the deck. 


We have now altered the deck so the dogs can sleep there at night time which so far has kept Dave away.  Oh and when he came back he brought the missing ipod with him - which has made Christian very happy.

I wish Dave and I could live in harmony together.....I am happy to let him have the shed to keep sleeping in during the day.

Sorry about no pictures, I am having trouble uploading them.

No comments:

Post a Comment